Monday, February 16, 2015

Hot Wheels Treasure Hunt

The Hot Wheels treasure hunt is probably the thing I hate most about being a toys associate. For those of you that don't know- Hot Wheels inserts "highly collectable" cars into random cases before they leave the warehouse. There is about one collector's car per 10 cases. These cars are valued anywhere between $10 to $50 and only cost the original consumer $0.97. The idea of the treasure hunt itself isn't bothersome at all. It's the vultures (customers) that come searching for collector's cars that get under my skin.

I have about three customers that come in weekly looking for collectable cars. Two of them I have absolutely no problem with; they are respectful and clean up after themselves for the most part. They also don't make any special requests-- like for me to check the back room for new freight that may contain Hot Wheels.

However, there is one customer in particular that I absolutely despise. He's been given the nickname Hot Wheels Guy. He always comes in around 8:30 pm because he knows that's when freight starts being pulled to the sales floor. As soon as he sees my pallets on the floor he begins circling them looking any box that looks like it may contain Hot Wheels. Once he finds a box he's interested in he'll begin to down stack the pallet until he has access to the box. After getting the box he takes it to a semi-secluded area (usually behind the bike racks) so he's less likely to be caught. He then rips open the box and digs through it, usually to be disappointed at the lack of a collectable car. After riffling through the box he usually doesn't clean up any of his mess and just leaves the carnage on the floor.

Photo courtesy of The Elkhart Truth
The problem has actually gotten so bad that certain members of management have given me permission to intervene when he touches the pallets. Unfortunately for me, one night after I'd returned from my lunch break he had already started going through the pallets. When I intervened I explained to him that I've been told that customers must wait until merchandise is on the shelf-- that way all customers have an equal opportunity to shop the merchandise. He then asked to speak to a manager and I happily paged one for him. Earlier in the day one of our assistant managers informed me that we'd be receiving Hot Wheels on the truck and told me that it was okay for me to say no to the Hot Wheels Guy.

The manager that showed up to talk to him is relatively new and hadn't been briefed on the new policy for Hot Wheels Guy. So following his training he wanted to please the customer and basically told the customer that he would have me stop zoning my department just to stock the Hot Wheels for him. Essentially my manager made me look like the ultimate jackass. So I did my walk of shame and walked over with 5 cases of Hot Wheels. I was already a bit behind that night so I was trying to hurry and throw the cars on to their pegs as quickly as possible so I could resume my regular work. However, the Hot Wheels Guy was actually pretty rude and hovered over me as I was stocking the shelf and would grab cars out of my hand before I even had a chance to put them on the pegs.

Overall the Hot Wheels Guy is so disliked among my store because he lacks certain common etiquette. He's actually made me dread Hot Wheels shipments and made me wish that Hot Wheels would do away with the treasure hunt altogether.

14 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh this is terrible!!!! It is really well written though, I will do my best to attack the hot wheels toys :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahah!! I laugh because that sucks so bad! People in the world today are just too selfish and rude and have forgotten all manners. I used to work at IHOP and hated dealing with the people so I understand coworkers ganging up on customers and talking crap behind their backs. They were asking for it though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have helped you stock all the items on the pallet and put all those on their racks. Jerk guy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a hotwheels collector but I do wait till they are put out, and I still find my share

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was at a kroger today and there was a collector there unpacking cases... thats so annoying knowing you have zero shot at finding anything.

      Delete
  5. I collect hotwheels too,but not just for the treasure hunts.but what pisses me off,is the last few weeks Walmart hasn't restocked any hotwheels and when they do there's always that one a-hole that buys all of that one car so you can't complete a set.it is what it is.publix so far has been my spot for the last 3 weeks cause Walmart is always out.theres this old guy probably gets there when the shipments come in.i never get there in time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am in the same situation. I have been looking for the Datsun Bluebird 510 Wagon for 4 months because greedy bastard collectors can't help themselves from taking every single one. They justify it in their minds because they plan to give some away...but screw that. Let others have them who take the time to search for them. Scalpers and hoarders are f-ing idiots and I hate their guts.

      Delete
    2. Agree. I hate the collectors that buy 5 or 6 of the same car. I also collect but i just buy the one i need and leave the rest for the people who also collect. Sometimes ill buy 2 but thats for my little cousin who likes hot wheels. But never more than 2.

      Delete
  6. Equal chance to get a Super Treasure Hunt is never possible outside the box unless you camp around a Walmart for days. The reason you have such problems is you leave pallets when your store is open. Also employees do not open boxes if you are the only one at the toy section. Which contradicts equal chance. Equal chance should equal a raffle ticket to get one once you buy at least a dozen or so regular Hot Wheels from the case. Not just for hang outs who stay all day at the store! Would you like it if the manager of your grocery store stated you must come back for fresher milk and eggs?? And that it wasn't fair for the other customers??? Just sayin!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seeing how things have got so bad from seeing videos on youtube and reading articles that those who collect legit and not resell if any i guess get mad cause resellers always snake the treasures so no one can try for any at anytime. so it has ruined the fun, and i only really recently started so all this does is remind how things are or can be with comics and funko pops. so those who hit stores late at night or reall early always gonna take all the gold before any reg collector has a chance to score any at anytime. if chance u get some good stuff is cause they not been raided by resellers or scalpers yet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When does wallmart restock on hotwheels

    ReplyDelete
  9. He's just reselling treasure hunts. He's known as a poacher or scalper to us hot wheels collectors. Do yourself a favor find the treasure hunts before him yank em off the peg while he's in store and have the shelf stocked to the gills. That way he is destroying property when he ruins hot wheels packs. And will get banned.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You can get any of the cars you people are complaining about not finding on eBay. That's what I do and I always get everything I need.

    ReplyDelete