Monday, April 13, 2015

Overtime

One of the biggest reasons that I have such a huge lack of respect for my managers at Walmart is the pressure they put on associates to stay past their scheduled shift. At just about any other job that I had, I had no problem staying past my scheduled time off because I knew that I would be adequately compensated for that time. However, because Walmart is a corporation that is more concerned about profit than they are for the well-being of the people that make their profit possible most stores have disciplinary action in place for associates who are clocked in more than 40 hours in one work week.


I cannot tell you the amount of times that assistant managers have told associates that they "have" to stay late, and the assistant manager will usually use the argument that "I stay late without pay all the time", but the difference is that they're salaried, which not only means that they receive much better pay and benefits, but most of the time they know going into the job that they'll be working more than 40 hours some weeks. Then, the day after telling someone that they had to stay late, they'll turn around and tell the associate that he/she must take a long lunch to cut any overtime. I've become so tired of this manipulation that I've refused to stay late and clocked out in front of a manager right after being told to stay late even though I'm part-time and rarely have to cut OT. The way that managers manipulate their associates and threaten them is unfair abuse of their power. My store makes nearly $300,000/day but it "can't afford" to pay an associate time and a half for an hour (keep in mind that time and a half for most associates in my store is roughly $13.50). I'm disgusted their greed.

No comments:

Post a Comment