Friday, April 17, 2015

When will you get more in stock?

Being a sales associate means that you frequently have customers asking you to check in the back for an item. What customers don't understand is that the back room in most stores is incredibly small and departments have limited space for overstock. This means that most of the time, if the item is not on the shelf, it's not in the back room either. When I inform the customer that I don't have an item in the back, the next question is usually "When will you be getting more?". This is a fair question. However, what most customers don't understand is that most people don't understand is that the warehouse seldom gives us any sort of idea of when we'll get a certain item in more than 48 hours in advance. Delivery estimates from the distribution center would be incredibly unreliable because so many factors change what freight is loaded onto a truck.

My handheld terminal will only display to me the number of an item we have on-hand, if the item is in the back room, if it's on order, if it's in the warehouse, and if it's in transit from the warehouse to our store. I don't mind explaining this much to a customer, what gets frustrating to me though, is when a customer complains about how dumb it is that our technology is that limited. You think I don't agree with you? I work for a company that makes billions of dollars each year, but we're still running Windows 95 on most of the computers in the store. I know how stupid it is. But that doesn't change the fact that I can't tell you when we'll have more in stock. When I offer the solution of checking another store for their item, most customers scoff at the idea of having to drive to another store. I understand the customer's frustration, but I'm literally exhausting all of my options to get the item in your hands today. I wish customers were more considerate.

No comments:

Post a Comment